Email Us | Map & Directions | Site Map

The History of Holy Trinity Church

"The Little Church by the Side of the Road"

Founders Day 2008

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church began in the fall of 1899 when a small group of Episcopalians living in Dickinson appealed to Bishop Kinsolving, the Bishop of the Dioceses of Texas, for permission to establish a Mission in Dickinson.

Twenty-four people began worshiping in a meeting house on the Dickinson Fair Grounds next to the GH&H Railroad Depot. The Great Storm of 1900 destroyed the meeting house and all of its contents including the organ that was donated to the group by Trinity Church in Galveston.

The first service in the newly built church on the current site was held on November 10, 1901. Sixty some years later, the original church was replaced by another church building and was dedicated on April 17, 1964. Wolston Hall, a new parish hall, was dedicated in 1974, and additional Sunday School classrooms were added.  The beautiful sanctuary stained glass was designed by one of our parishioners and was dedicated on September 1, 1991. The memorial gardens were added in 2004.

History

Click on a thumbnail to view a larger image.
Click on the photo to advance to the next photo.
Click on the close button to close it.

The Bishop Wedding

The Bishop Wedding

The Bishop's wedding in the old church - 1960

The Dedication

The Dedication

The dedication of the new church in April, 1964.

Dickinson Fairgrounds

Dickinson Fairgrounds

A layout blueprint of Dickinson Fairgrounds, site of first meeting house in 1899.

The Church Completed

The Church Completed

Newspaper article about the first service to be held in the new church building.

Dickinson Railway Station

Dickinson Railway Station

The Galveston Houston railroad had a rest stop for travelers in Dickinson close to the fairgrounds.

 The original Holy Trinity

The original Holy Trinity

The original church built on the current site in 1900.

Bishop Kinsolving

Bishop Kinsolving

Bishop of the Diocese of Texas in 1899

Reverend W.L. Shannon-1943-1945

Reverend W.L. Shannon-1943-1945

One of Holy Trinity's first full-time rectors.

Constructing the new church

Constructing the new church

The framing of the new church in progress.

The Choir

The Choir

The choir in the interior of the original church circa 1950's

Halfway there

Halfway there

The church nearing completion.

Holy Trinity in winter

Holy Trinity in winter

A rare sight! Holy Trinity blanketed in snow.